Monday, May 20, 2013

New mommy lessons

Our little girl, Sophie Marie, arrived on April 22! (Yes, that's four weeks ago to the day!) Since we didn't know her gender ahead of time, we were a bit surprised! (Everyone thought I was having a boy.) She's named after my Great-Grandma (GG) Lombardi and both of Joe's grandmothers.




The induction went... OK. I was in labor for 22 hours and pushed for almost four - was thisclose to a c-section. You really don't remember the pain afterwards, at least I don't. I do remember the fatigue, though. But it was all totally worth it, because Sophie is beautiful and amazing.

So I've had this blog post in my head for about two weeks now, but no time to write it. Joe's walking Sophie around, trying to get her to drop off, so I'm taking the opportunity to try to write it. It's my list of new mommy lessons I've learned in these four weeks.

  1. Computer time will be minimal. Well, til you figure out how to prop your netbook up on your Boppy and type one-handed. Oh, and don't expect to read the newspaper every day either.
  2. Burp cloths become household decor. You'll leave them draped over every piece of furniture in the house.
  3. Corrollary to No. 2: Pretty much anything baby-related becomes household decor. My living room currently has added the pack 'n play, swing, car seat, bouncy chair, and kick and play mat as part of the ambience. Sophie's hats are scattered hither and yon like the aforementioned burp cloths.
  4. If your mother can/is willing to stay with you and help with the baby, TAKE HER UP ON THIS. My mom managed a three-week stay. I can't tell you how grateful I am for her help. Two days after she left, my house was in shambles. Just having an extra set of hands while Joe was at work, or before company, was great. I also came home with swollen feet and ankles (which I did not have during pregnancy), plus I had an episiotomy. Aside from the usual need for a woman who's just given birth to take it easy, I needed to just a bit more. Another reason Mom was a godsend.
  5. Believe it or not, you will quickly adjust to lack of sleep. I like my sleep. I don't like to wake up. I usually took my sweet time rolling out of bed. But somehow, once you hear that baby crying, you will jump to attention. I can't say I'm not sometimes groggy (I stumbled a bit the other night as I got out of bed), but I can actually go from asleep to awake pretty darn fast now.
  6. You may have some weird fears at first. They'll go away. The first two nights we had Sophie home, I could NOT go to sleep if I were the only one still up. I just couldn't bear the thought of no one being awake to watch Sophie. I tried to sleep on the couch next to the pack 'n play, but at the slightest rustle my head would pop up like a prairie dog. My mom, God bless her, would relieve me and stay up with Sophie so I'd get some sleep. This did go away after about the third night, when we put her in the crib and I took the monitor into my room for the first time. At first, I jumped at every little sound, but exhaustion set in and I fell asleep. And then when she cried for real, it woke me up and I took care of her. After that, I was fine.
  7. Trust your instincts. Everyone has an opinion. Everyone will offer advice. There are classes, books, websites, you name it. If it doesn't sound right, you DON'T have to listen. Like my husband, the journalist, says, "If your mother says she loves you, get another source." Double-check anything that doesn't sound right.
  8. Accept the hormones.   I thought I cried over silly things when I was pregnant. It got worse after I gave birth. One day I burst into tears because the balloons my family brought me were starting to deflate and I hadn't gotten a picture of Sophie with them. Don't worry, this too shall pass.
  9. Baby brain is real. Like I said, I've been trying to write this post for two weeks. I've probably forgotten half of what I wanted to put in it. I forget a lot of things now. Fortunately, I have not yet burned down the house. *crossing fingers*
  10. Who cares if it's gas? That smile will melt your heart. As will anything and everything about your baby. Sophie's adorable all the time, but sometimes I'll see her asleep and it takes my breath away all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment