Thursday, January 3, 2013

The things you find...

I confess: I am not the world's most organized person. We've been in our house five months and there are still plenty of boxes to unpack and things unorganized. (Side note: This is where I envy my sister's Virgo-perfectionism organizational skills. I swear she can just look at something and know where everything should go.)

Yesterday, my husband and I took yet another crack at the boxes in our basement. This provided a treasure trove of weird memorabilia, and some with a decidedly... psychic flavor.

  • The Hairspray Playbill from when I last saw the show in December 2008, before I met Joe... autographed by a high school classmate of his who was in the show!
  • On that theme, a copy of the Hanover Evening Sun  - Joe's old newspaper - with a review of Susquehanna University, my alma mater. There were a few other ES items I found, all from before Joe worked there, because my grandparents lived in Littlestown and I used to read it when we went to visit them.
  • A sports column I wrote in college - in 1997 - about egotistical owners ruining sports. Inspired by Peter Angelos' firing of Davey Johnson - er, excuse me, Johnson's resignation - a day before he won AL Manager of the Year. It also mentions Jerry Jones' ego doing damage to the Cowboys. Joe, upon reading: "How sentient!" My reaction: "I've been bitching about the same thing for 15 years?! *sigh*"
  • There were piles of old cards I'd received while in college. I pulled out one and saw it was from my great aunt and uncle. Was about to throw it away when I thought, "hey, I should open it. Maybe I missed some money." Sure enough, there was a $5 sitting in it! Although I like to think of that as sort of a belated Christmas gift from the great beyond. :-)
I didn't even get the thing done last night. I kept sorting through it today, only to discover the bottom half of it is full of stuff that isn't even mine!!! Mom, Dad, Andrea... I've got a box for you...

(And in yet another odd find, there were two 1997 TV Guides with Ravens on the cover. Did I mention we're Cowboys fans? Why did Mom - the most likely culprit - save them?! Vinny Testeverde's on the cover of one, for crying out loud! There's no value in that! Joe's reaction: "Gag." And he's a Ravens fan.)

I'd better make sure this stuff gets sorted in my lifetime, or my child(ren) will be really mystified by me when I die and they have to go through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment