Sunday, January 6, 2013

Steamtown and skates

My husband had a "real weekend" this week (translation: The perils of life on the copy desk of a newspaper mean your days off are not automatically Saturday and Sunday. But this week, they were). We took advantage of it by having some NEPA adventures on Saturday.

Starting with Steamtown National Historic Site.


(view from the front of the building)
 

Joe and I have something of an interest in trains. We recently went to the  B&O museum in Baltimore, and we're hoping to go to Strasburg this summer when we go to the NCPC National Meet in Bird-in-Hand, Pa. We're also a fan of model train displays. For me, I think this comes from my Pap, who had an extensive model train collection. My dad also had one set up in our basement when I was little, which I loved.

Steamtown is at the former railyards of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western RR. Railroads were an important part of the area's economy throughout the coal mining years, as it was the primary means of transportation for the coal.

I think what I enjoy most about trains and train museums is that it's such a step back in time. We're in such a hurry to get places nowadays that rail travel isn't a much-used option. I've taken train trips before, and I really enjoy watching the world go by (it's why I like car trips too).

We were joined by our friends, the Abdallas, NEPA natives now living in southcentral Pa. (well, Molly is technically a southern tier native, but that's just over the line into N.Y.). We all went on the "Life on a Caboose" tour, during which one of the park rangers took us through - you guessed it - a caboose and told us of the lives of the railmen who rode and worked in there.


Side note: Workin' on the railroad? Dangerous gig. You could get squished trying to do your job and link up cars! (and that's just one danger.)

Being that we'd kind of dawdled getting there (hey, it was Saturday... ), and Steamtown is in winter hours, we did not get to spend as much time there as we would have liked. Come spring, we're hoping to go on one of the excursions - and take BabyD with us! :-)

Later that evening, we headed to Wilkes-Barre for the WBS Penguins Pink in the Rink game with my Zeta Tau Alpha alumnae chapter. Breast cancer awareness and education is ZTA's national philanthropy, so this was a great opportunity for fun with sisters and to help the fight!

(Tux, the Penguins mascot, rocks the pink!)
 
Before the game, we ZTAs scattered throughout the lobby and handed out pink ribbons and self-exam reminder stickers. I enjoy getting the opportunity to do this, and I've always envied the sisters who get to do this at NFL games!
 
The game itself was a lot of fun as well. For $23, we got great seats (three rows from the ice!), a Penguins ballcap, soda, chips and a hot dog. Minor league sports are pretty awesome - much more affordable than major league sports, for sure, and far more fan-friendly, with lots of promotions and giveaways. I'm hoping we can catch a RailRiders baseball game this summer.
 
And the Penguins got a 3-0 win over the Worchester Sharks!
 
(I couldn't resist a crown pic.)
 
So that's our very NEPA-flavored day. All-in-all, a lot of fun, and we've just begun to scratch the surface of the adventures this area has to offer!


2 comments:

  1. Hello and pleased to meet you!!
    I am a fellow NEPA Blogger and have 2 blogs with one being devoted solely to Christmas.
    I guess you could call be a "Nesting Blogger". An empty nest parent and working full time mom who loves to decorate her home.
    I added you to my Blog Roll on my main blog of Debbie-Dabble and I hope you will stop by.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I appreciate your stopping by and the addition to your Blog Roll. :-) I will definitely be looking to you for decorating ideas!

      Delete