Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The next big adventure

Yes, it's been a long time since I've written in this-here blog. New baby and all. And wouldn't you know, I find myself inspired to write about an adventure that should essentially change the name of this blog.

Soon, Joe, Sophie and I will no longer be Abingtonians, dahling. Joe has accepted a job at the Central Penn Business Journal, based in Harrisburg, covering York County and other topics.

What does this mean (aside from the aforementioned location/blog name change)?

The CPBJ is like journalism utopia: Joe will work "normal" hours (as in, daytime instead of nighttime). He won't have to work major holidays. Heck, he'll even have extra time off around Christmas!

Better yet, we can live closer to our families. We're casting a wide net, and can live just about anywhere convenient to Harrisburg and York County. I'm hoping for Carlisle or somewhere down U.S. 15, which will translate to about a 45-minute drive to my parents' house. Or even Gettysburg, although that would make a bit more of a commute for Joe. 

And while I'm ecstatic to ditch the three-hour drive to see Mom, Dad and Andrea, and the pile of baby stuff to lug anywhere because family visits aren't day trips, there are some things I will miss about NEPA. I've enjoyed our adventures: tooling around back roads from Tunkhannock to Towanda (I think going out U.S. 6 was my favorite), up into the southern tier of New York, and out to Honesdale and Hawley. We meandered down to Jim Thorpe one day, just for fun. This is a very scenic area and there's always a new road to follow.

I'll miss the history and the ethnic pride that is so prevalent in NEPA. Trains, trolleys, the St. Patrick's Day Parade, all sorts of cultural festivals... and the food that goes with them...

I'll miss the people we've met. Joe has worked with a good group of people at the Times-Tribune, many of whom have become friends. I was welcomed into the NEPA ZTA alumnae chapter with open arms and found a whole new group of sisters to love.

So it's off to new adventures in the 717. Who knows what lies ahead...

Oh, anyone out there want to buy a house in NEPA? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment